Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Creative Juices

I kind of can’t believe how long it’s been since I last wrote, but at the same time I kinda can because it has been a crazy few months. So this is going to be another catch up post but its better than nothing. I admire all the bloggers I follow who update so often—I am working on following in their footsteps. Ross is hosting the teacher’s quorum for a movie night and I am here to make sure nothing to bad happens so I am here typing and monitoring. I figured I would make use of my time.

This summer was so wonderful; we spent a lot of time with family and enjoyed extended vacations. I was able to express some of my creativity in refinishing furniture. I discovered that I really really love it!! And Ross has been so supportive of me and was totally fine with the mess I set up in the kitchen for 4 months. So here are a few pictures of my creative adventures as of late.

This is a hutch that Ross got for free. It’s pretty much the best thing ever! I love it so much. I sanded it because it was so gross and it did not go easily! Ross that he was pretty funny taking picture of me when I wasn’t looking (hence the face). I ripped the back of and replaced it with some bead board and then painted it turquoise. The outside I painted two shades darker and then glazed it. I took a class at the Home Depot about cabinet refinishing that taught me so much and so I was excited to test out the new skills I learned. My mom built the doors and put the chicken wire, which are amazing! She did such a great job and I am so proud of her and her skills (maybe someday I can be like her). All in all it turned out AMAZING and I totally love it. I was inspired by the opportunity to make something ugly look beautiful and to create something from scratch. It was wonderful.





taking up our WHOLE dinning area!


The almost finished project, still needs the doors.




Last winter I got the itching for a head board but I was unwilling to pay for one, so one day my Mom, Ross and I were in a furniture store and I fell in love with this bed set and had to have it. So I took pictures and Mom and I started to plan. Well once she got some time we busted out a replica and it turned better than what I saw in the store! I didn't take any before pictures (I think I get too excited to paint to wait to take pictures!). So this is the end product. I did a pea-soupy green (which I think Ross and my Mom were skeptical of) but it turned out exactly what I had hoped for. Here are a few shots.


My next adventure was to make the pillow cases and decorative pillow shown here. It was really fun to have a sewing lesson, and went A LOT better than any of my previous sewing lessons for 7th grade home ec. So sewing is on my bucket list for the future, but my attempt turned out quite well (thanks only to my mom, which is a familiar theme in this post)


Speaking of sewing...I saw this baby on the side of the road at a rockin consignment shop and I could not live with out it. Ross was sweet enough to consent and I rushed to get it. The only problem is that it is ridiculously small, with short stubby legs (which I didn't notice until I got home) so I am still working out how to fix it. I think I am going to paint it and learn to reupholster it. But now with my new job it is on the back burner.
My newest and most exciting project is a secretary desk that Ross saw at a garage sale (we were on our way to the temple so the Lord must have blessed me because I have been dreaming of one forever!). No pix yet, but I am thinking black with a natural wood interior. I have to hurry and sand it down before it gets too cold. But I am so excited to try some new techniques

3 comments:

  1. GORGEOUS GORGEOUS GORGEOUS! That is all I can say...I can't believe how well everything turned out. I have wanted to take classes for a long time ---if only we were in the same city. :) Love it! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO impressed with all of these things you have been doing. I also wish I lived closer so I could learn all of these wonderful things with you or just admire closer! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Jenny, you have some mad skills! I am coming to see these in person in a couple weeks when we come back for Christmas. We are coming a week prior to finish our Tremonton project and will have more time to take a night and go to Logan. You are amazing, I love love the headboard and the hutch.

    ReplyDelete